Monday, July 18, 2011

Dreaming "in third person"?

Ok, so I have always known that there was something weird about my dreams since I was little. My dreams have always been VERY vivid and mostly disturbing. Most people wake up right before or right as they die in their dreams. Mine don't end. I die quite often in my dreams, in very horrible ways. I've been thrown in acid vats, shot in the face, left for dead in the woods with my entire family, sucked into a creepy portal of death (imagine the pensieve from Harry Potter but it kills you), sliced in half by a chainsaw wielding madman, etc. I have learned upon listening to other peoples' dreams that this is not normal. My dreams are also so realistic that I have a really hard time separating them from reality. One occasion where I dreamed my Dad was dead made me so upset upon waking up that I couldn't tell if it were true, and had to go in his room to see if he was still there. Even after seeing him, the feeling of losing him stuck with me for days. I've known this was odd and most people don't deal with it, but recently, I learned something else odd about my dreams. They are often "out of body." Where they aren't happening through my eyes, but as though I'm watching a movie. I know it's me, and I feel the emotions of the person I'm watching, but I'm seeing it as though I'm somewhere else, be it the other side of the room or changing angles. I didn't know this was not how other people dreamt. My parents are really concerned and want me to see a psychiatrist about it. They are also concerned because I never fall asleep easily or stay asleep. I have very vivid dreams and wake up as though I've been fighting all night. I'm always tired and sore when I wake up. Does anyone know what causes this? And is it really that weird to dream "in 3rd person"? Am I the only one who does that often? Thanks for you help.

No comments:

Post a Comment